SOS Family Fun Day
Date: Aug. 01, 2015
El Prado Park, 4500 El Mar Drive, Lauderdale-By-The-Sea, FL 33308
The final day of BugFest 2015 is packed with lots of fun activities for the whole family. Enjoy a free fun day at the beach while helping the ocean environment at the SOS Family Fun Day sponsored by MINTO.
The activities (so far) include:
- Stoked On Salt & Surfrider Foundation Beach Clean-Up. 9am - 11am
- Goldcoast Scuba Anglin's Pier Clean-Up. 8:00am - 9:30am
- Teen Stand-Up Paddle Boarding & Underwater Snorkel Treasure Hunt with prizes presented by Surf World Surf Shop.
- Windjammer Kids Tug-o-War: Lobsters vs. Angel Fish.
- Seagrape Surf Shop Skim Board Contest with prizes.
- Nautical Arts & Crafts.
- Ocean-related non-profit groups.
- Educational activities.
- Free face painting and Balloon Twisting.
- Stoked On Salt Volunteer Awards and After Party. Free volunteer lunch, snacks and refreshments.
- Live free concert by the Scuba Cowboy.
- Live ScubaRadio broadcast with host Greg Holt
NSU-LBTS Staghorn Restoration Presentation
6pm - 6:45pm
El Prado Park, 4500 El Mar Drive, Lauderdale-By-The-Sea
Nova Southeastern University will give a presentation on its Coral Nursery Initiative, a hallmark research project that now includes the Town of Lauderdale-By-The-Sea. The Town partnered with NSU in 2015 to out-plant 2,000 staghorn corals off the Town this year and in 2016.
Staghorn (Acropora cervicornis) is an important reef-building species for Florida and is currently listed as threatened under the U.S. Endangered Species Act.
NSU's nursery project offers hope for staghorn recovery. Research conducted by NSU’s scientists and students is devoted to understanding the species ecology, improving coral conservation methods, and promoting coral reef restoration.
An NSU team member will give a presentation about this joint reef project.
For more info on NSU's restoration efforts, go to:http://www.nova.edu/ocean/coralnursery/